This week's featured recipe is by Miriam Friedman Koval, an Integrative Nutrition Heath Coach, recipe developer, and personal chef who specializes in healthy, nutrient-dense foods. She is a guide and mentor who empowers clients with ongoing support and guidance as they set goals and make sustainable changes that improve health, positive energy and happiness. Miriam is the founder of Wellness Delivered by Miriam, a 17 day nutrition and weight loss program that was established back in 2016. Miriam grew up in Toronto enjoying vegetables from her family garden and sampling interesting foods that her father surprised the her with, like bee pollen and raw sugar cane. She now lives in Cleveland, Ohio with her husband and 8 children who she frequently cooks delicious and wholesome meals for!
Miriam created a custom recipe for Farm to Door Club subscribers, showcasing local ingredients from this week's produce box! Grape tomatoes, brown mushrooms, and local butternut squash are all highlighted in her recipe for Traditional and Healthy Shakshuka. Because of the local Ontario produce and simple cooking techniques, this recipe is one that works for breakfast, lunch or dinner! It is a pack of punch for your taste buds and your gut.
Check it out below and let us know what you think in the comments!
YOU WILL NEED:
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 chopped yellow onion
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 cup combined green, yellow and orange pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 cup diced zucchini
- 1/2 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 cup yellow squash
- 1 grape tomato
- 1 teaspoon pink Himalayan or sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 3 medium garlic cloves minced
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Pinch of cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup mild salsa
- 1 cup chopped spinach
- 5-7 eggs
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley leaves
- 1-2 avocado, diced
- Fresh herbs and green olives for garnish
- Heat oil over medium heat in a large stainless steel or enamel-coated cast-iron skillet.
- Add the onion, red, green orange, yellow peppers, zucchini, mushrooms, yellow squash and cherry tomatoes, salt and several grinds of fresh pepper and cook until the onion is soft and translucent - approximately 10-12 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and add the garlic, paprika, cumin and cayenne, if using. Stir and let cook for about 30 seconds.
- Add the tomatoes and salsa
- Simmer for 15 minutes until the sauce has thickened.
- Add the spinach and stir until wiltered.
- Make 5-7 wells in the sauce and crack in the eggs. Cover and cook until the eggs are set (approximately 5-8 minutes). This timing will depend on how runny you like your egg yolks.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and sprinkle with feta, parsley, avocado, olives and fresh herbs.
Recipe makes 5-7 servings!